- What is the library's phone number?
- What are the library's hours?
- What do I do if I need to find a book in the library?
- Can I obtain a book that isn't in the Brewton-Parker College Library?
- How many weeks can I keep the book checked out?
- What is the fine for turning in a book too late?
- Where do I start if my professor requires me to use a journal article in my paper?
- I'm off campus and need to access GALILEO. Do I need a password?
- I need to write a research paper and don't know how to start looking for resources. How do I get help?
- I need help with my research paper's reference list and/or in-text citations. Where can I go for help?
- My professor wants us to to read a chapter out of a book on reserve. What does that mean?
- Does the library have a copier?
- Can I print my assignments in the library?
- Can I borrow DVDs or music CDs?
- Do you have headphones I can check out?
Is your question not answered here? Contact the library at 912-583-3235. You can also fill out an Ask-A-Librarian form.
1. What is the library's phone number?
The library's phone number is 912-583-3235. You can also contact individual staff members directly. Click here for a list of library staff members and their contact information.
2. What are the library's hours?
Click here for the latest library hours.
3. What do I do if I need to find a book in the library?
Our catalog is called Koha and is available online. A link is provided on the library's website ("Search the library catalog"). You can also click here directly. Should you need assistance searching or finding the book on the library shelves, please contact a library staff member.
4. Can I obtain a book that isn't in the Brewton-Parker College Library?
If the library does not have a book you are looking for, we may be able to obtain it from another library. This is called Interlibrary Loan. Just fill out the form available on the library’s website. It can take up to two or three weeks (although it’s often shorter) to get the book or article. Since other libraries often charge for this service, there may be fess involved in certain requests.
5. How many weeks can I keep a book checked out?
Books are loaned for two weeks. Should you still need the books following the due date, you must renew them.
6. What is the fine for turning in a book too late?
The overdue fine is 25 cents per day, per book.
7. Where do I start if my professor requires me to a use journal article in my paper?
The best place to start is to look in GALILEO. GALILEO is an online collection of databases with which you can search for journal articles (and more). It is accessible through the library’s website. Many articles are available for download within GALILEO; however, should you find an article without full-text attached, you may be able to find it in the library’s collection of print periodicals. The final option is obtaining it through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
Library staff members can help you get started using GALILEO. A tutorial is available on the library's website. Also, GALILEO’s homepage has some excellent tutorials to introduce you to successful searching techniques.
8. I'm off campus and need to access GALILEO. Do I need a password?
Yes, you need a password. The library staff sends a campus wide e-mail with the new password when it takes effect. You can also call the library or complete an Ask-A-Librarian form to obtain the password. At that time, we will verify you are a student.
9. I need to write a research paper and don't know how to start looking for resources. How do I get help?
You can stop by the library without an appointment and try to meet with a librarian or one of the other staff members, in which case you will be helped as soon as possible. You can also call the library or use the Ask-A-Librarian form if you are unable to come by in person.
10. I need help with my research paper's reference list and/or in-text citations. Where can I go for help?
When writing your research paper, you MUST cite the words and ideas you take from your sources. Otherwise you will be plagiarizing, which is not only illegal, but also, if you are caught, results in various penalties (from a zero on the paper up to expulsion).
Four main styles are used for this on campus: MLA, APA, Turabian, and AMA. Each has a specific manual that goes with it. These are available for use in the library. See the front desk. Brief help sheets are available on the library's website here. Another excellent source of help is Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab (OWL). Click here to link to this website.
11. My professor wants us to read a chapter out of a book on reserve. What does that mean?
Sometimes professors have books, articles, or DVDs students are expected to read or view outside of class. To ensure they are available to all students, they have the library keep these items behind the front desk “on reserve.” Simply come to the library’s front desk and ask for the specific item. You will be able to read or view it in the library. You cannot take it outside the library. Be sure to have the specific title of what you need. (Asking for “the book Dr. Ray wants us to read ” is not enough information.)
12. Does the library have a copier?
Yes, the library does have a copier for student use. The cost is 10 cents for black and white copies. The charge is deducted from a student's account. Be sure to have your ID because you will swipe the ID to log in to the copier. Students begin the year with a 50 copy credit.
13. Can I print my paper in the library?
The library is home to a computer lab. A WEPA printing kiosk has been placed in the lab for students to print. (Another WEPA kiosk is in the Phillips Student Center.) The cost is 10 cents for black and white copies. The charge is deducted from a student's account. Students begin the year with a 50 page credit and more money can be added to the account via credit card at the kiosks or online at wepanow.com.
14. Can I check out DVDs or music CDs?
Students are not allowed to check out DVDs or music CDs. If you would like to watch or listen to these, the library has a listening room. Faculty may check out DVDs and music CDs.
15. Do you have headphones I can check out?
The library has a limited number of headphones students may use in the library. (They cannot be taken out of the library.) As with any item you would like to check out, you must have your ID.