Home / Academics /
Division of Education /
Certification Only Program
General Information and Requirements
1. A four-year degree from an accredited college. Official transcripts are required.
2. Provide verification of an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher and a C or better in major courses.
3. Provide a score report reflecting a passing score on one of the following:
GACE Basic Skills
ACT (43 - combined English and Math)
A transcript evaluation for the area in which a candidate is seeking certification will be completed by BPC's Certification Officer. This evaluation will determine both specific courses and the number of hours of coursework required.
Candidates must complete all additional course requirements as listed in the transcript evaluation with a C or higher.
In addition to completing all required coursework and passing GACE Basic Skills and GACE II Content Area tests, candidates must complete a two-semester internship (EDU 476 and EDU 477) for certification. This internship is a joint effort between a school system and BPC. The internship provides the candidate with a supportive program designed to improve his or her professional competence. Candidates in the Certification Only Program are considered interns. A provisional certificate and signed school contract, which reflects a full-time teaching position in the area for which the candidate is seeking certification, must be provided by the candidate before doing the internship.
1. Internship sites are a contractual agreement between the candidate and school system. BPC does not select candidate sites and is not responsible for obtaining jobs.
2. School systems must be in agreement with the internship requirements and request that BPC conduct the internship.
3. The internship cannot be done until the candidate is within two semesters of completing coursework or by special permission of the Director of Student Teaching/Certification Officer.
4. The candidate must provide proof of liability insurance and a clear background check before beginning the internship.
Candidates not under contract to a school system may student teach (EDU 474 and EDU 475) for one semester instead of doing an internship.
For more information about the Certification Only Program:
Professor Barbara Reid
Director of Student Teaching & Certification
Brewton-Parker College #2012
P.O. Box 197
Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
(912) 583-3168 or (800) 342-1087 ext. 168