Update (09:45 AM – Tuesday, September 12, 2017)

Due to the uncertainty concerning the restoration of power on the Mt. Vernon campus, classes will not resume until Monday, September 18. Offices will be closed through Wednesday, September 13. However, maintenance staff need to report to work or contact Ted Towns if unable to do so.

Update (11:45 AM – Friday, September 8, 2017)

Dear BPC Family,

In continuing to track the storm, the potential for us to receive stronger effects than originally forecast seems more likely. Currently, winds of 70 miles an hour in our area are possible. We are anticipating that power may be out for several days. We are prepared to service students who will remain on the campus. We have secured adequate water and food, but that will be the extent of what we can supply during the aftermath of the storm. We are currently in the process of requesting additional generators from the Georgia Emergency Management Agency, but at this time, we will only have power to portions of the student center which will ensure food service.

Many parents have decided to evacuate and for their students to go with them. Other parents, who are not planning evacuation, prefer to be together to deal with the uncertain conditions over the next several days. Where there is an opportunity for a family to be in a safe area, in most cases, it would probably be best for BPC students to be with their families. Currently, it appears that safe travel away from campus and from the approaching storm will be available through Sunday morning. We are not sure when it will be safe to return. Therefore, anticipating the logistics of returning to campus and the uncertain aftermath of the storm, we are now canceling classes for Monday through Wednesday (September 11-13). If conditions warrant, it is possible that classes will be canceled the entire week. We will likely make that determination by Sunday. Please continue to monitor our website for updates.

Steven F. Echols, Ph.D., D.Min
President, Brewton-Parker College

Update (4:38 PM – Thursday, September 7, 2017)

Dear BPC Family,

Below is a statement from our BPC emergency management team:

As part of our continuing efforts to plan for the safety and wellbeing of our students, we have remained in constant contact with our local Emergency Management Agency. While our county has not yet been declared under a State of Emergency by Governor Deal, please know that should that status change there is no anticipated evacuations in our county.  We have learned this is often merely to aid in funding and that only those counties east of I-95 have been under a mandatory evacuation.

In regards to whether you plan to stay or go home, please communicate with your parents or guardians and determine the best option for you.  Any students who are not in the projected areas of impact are certainly welcome to return home.  From our EMA office, should you decide to leave they encourage you to do so today as the roads are becoming increasingly congested. For those of you who live in a declared impact area, please plan to shelter in place on our campus.

If you are leaving – you MUST sign out with your RA so we can get a firm count of who is here.

If you are staying you should know the following:

Beginning Friday the cafeteria serving schedule:  Brunch 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Supper 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.  This will continue until classes resume.

  • To report maintenance issues – call 912-423-9600
  • For Security – call 912-253-9280or 912-539-8291
  • Should it become necessary to extend the cancellation of classes, we will notify everyone before 10 a.m.on Tuesday by email, campus alert system, and by posting updates on the bpc.edu website and social media sites.

Update (11:45 AM – Thursday, September 7, 2017)

We have been monitoring Hurricane Irma closely. While the brunt of the storm is expected to be far from the BPC campus, there is a possibility of occasional strong wind gusts in excess of sixty miles per hour beginning as early as Sunday evening and going through the day on Monday. We know that for various reasons, some students plan to go home for the weekend. We do not want these students, as well as commuting students, traveling to the campus in dangerous conditions. Therefore, we are canceling all classes at the Mt. Vernon campus on Monday and Tuesday (September 11-12). Classes at the Newnan campus will continue as scheduled.

Other than maintenance personnel, staff will not report to the campus on Monday. As of now, all staff will return to work on Tuesday. Faculty will return with resumption of classes on Wednesday.

Please know that our campus will be fully operational for our students who remain on campus. If we lose power, we have generators to ensure that food service will continue. Above all, BPC will take every precaution for sheltering students if high wind gusts occur. We will continue to monitor the situation and post updates as needed on the website.

Update (1:45 PM – Wednesday, September 6, 2017)

As mentioned in the earlier email, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma. At this time, it does not appear to be a threat to our area. If this changes, we will notify you. Even so, as far as we are inland, there would be minimal danger here regardless of the direction the storm make take. Please be assured your safety is our priority.  If needed, the Emergency Management Agency is recommending that we shelter in place as roads are already very congested. Contrary to rumors, we have no plans to evacuate the campus. We will update you if there is any change of our current plan.

Steven F. Echols, Ph.D., D.Min
President, Brewton-Parker College

Understandably, we have had many inquiries concerning BPC’s plan for any potential impact of Hurricane Irma. We are monitoring things carefully. Currently, there is no conclusion by the experts about which way the storm will go. However, the earliest potential landfall appears to be late Sunday. Even at that, at worst case, the storm would be at least another day from significantly impacting our area. At that time, the storm would likely be considerably weakened if it passed through our area. Nonetheless, if its path seems to be heading our way, we will likely ask students who are from areas that are farther from the storm impact to consider going home. We could do that as early as Friday morning. Others whose home areas would be more impacted than our area would be able to stay on campus where we will do everything possible to provide for the needs and safety of the students.

Let’s continue to be in prayer for the victims of Hurricane Harvey, and pray that Hurricane Irma will have minimal impact. Please check the website for the latest alerts.

In His Service,

Steven F. Echols, Ph.D., D.Min.

President, Brewton-Parker College