Meet Our Faculty
Morgan-Moses Math and Science Building
Head Coach of Olympic Weightlifting Team
Assistant Professor of Health and Human Performance
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- MS, Exercise Science, Northern Michigan University, 2009
- BA, Social Science, Governors State University
Professor Newgard has been involved in Olympic weightlifting and academia at the collegiate level for 13 years. He has been a Team USA Coach for several international tournaments and has coached over 15 International level athletes. In addition, Professor Newgard has worked with multiple teams in strength and conditioning, and personal training. He has also taught classes in sports science and has been a USA Weightlifting coaching education instructor since 2008. Since joining the Baron family, he has led multiple student-athletes to claim gold medals for Brewton-Parker College at the National University Championships.
Interesting Facts About Me
- I competed in the 2008 Olympic Trials in Olympic weightlifting.
- I competed in Olympic Bobsled and pushed sleds in Park City, Utah, Lake Placid, NY, and Calgary, Canada.
- Sports Science
- USA Weightlifting Senior International Coach (USAW)
- NSCA Certified Strength and Condition Coach (CSCS)
- USA Track and Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association (TFTC)
Favorite Classes Taught at BPC
- PE 205 – Principles of Health and Wellness
- PE 325 – Sports and Fitness Management
- PE 410 – Techniques of Coaching
- PE 427 – Motor Learning
Favorite Bible Verse
First Reader: Ernst, A. (2016). 7-WEEKS OF YOGA TRAINING AND ITS EFFECTS ON FLEXIBILITY, RATE OF FORCE DEVELOPMENT, AND JUMP HEIGHT IN OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTERS.
First Reader: Budd II, B. R., & Jensen, R. L. (2018). EFFECTS OF FRONT SQUAT TRAINING METHODS ON FRONT SQUAT ONE REPETITION MAX AND CLEAN PULL FORCE PRODUCTION. ISBS Proceedings Archive, 36(1), 277.